General information and training brief
|Skills & knowledge to be demonstrated||Heat||Final|
|Work safely (work organisation)||#||#|
|Follow detailed work plan instructions||#||#|
|Measure, cut and fabricate materials used in RAC industry||#||#|
|Assemble pipe work, insulation and components to prescribed instructions||#||#|
|Join materials using permanent non mechanical methods (i.e. braze, solder, glue)||#||#|
|Pressure test pipework and components to BSEN 378 standard||#||#|
|Evacuation to industry standards||#||#|
|Test control wiring and basic components for electrical faults||#||#|
|Interpret simple ladder/connection wiring diagrams for RACHP systems||#||#|
|Correct use of tools, materials and components used in the RAC industry||#||#|
|Completion of commissioning sheets and F-Gas records (communication)||#||#|
|Refrigerant Recovery and record completion||#||#|
|Refrigerant leak testing||#||#|
|Join materials using non-permanent mechanical fixing methods (i.e. flare)||#||#|
|Join materials using permanent mechanical fixing methods (i.e. Vulkan Lokring)||#|
|Install control wiring and electrical components||#|
|Interpret simple ladder/connection wiring diagrams for an air conditioning system||#|
|Analyse information in order to overcome challenges (problem solve)||#||#|
|Measure and plot air conditions on a Psychrometric chart||#|
Candidates must work safely at all times and take the appropriate precautions when working with any tools that have a potential safety hazard.
No power tools are to be used.
No open bladed knives to be used for wire stripping.
Appropriate workshop/site work wear is to be worn during flame brazing and refrigerant handling activities.
Safety glasses to be worn during any cutting, brazing, pressure testing or refrigerant handling activities.
Required tools can be found here.
The standard of work required to gain maximum marks are:
- The measurements should be within +/- 2mm of the specification
- All components to be positioned according to manufacturers instructions
- All brazed joints to be performed using oxygen free nitrogen; be full all round; no excess alloy; no parent metal loss; no sharp peaks; no component burn marks.
- Correct strength & leak testing to BSEN 378 process demonstrated
- Wiring terminations to be tight and without conductors showing when viewed at 900
- All components to be earth bonded
- Electrical tests to prove the installation is safe to energise
- Earth continuity, Insulation resistance, Polarity ‘dead’ & ‘live’.
- Correct operational control ‘set up’ of all devices including temperature and/or zone controllers according to a design specification.